Bias in the Workplace
Bias is a confusing and sometimes polarizing word that can be a difficult topic to discuss – especially in the workplace. The goals of this training are to begin to open up the conversation, give a common language to this important topic, allow a safe place to be introspective, and understand where we are personally on the path to impartiality. This session is an opportunity to learn and reflect on bias – what it is, how it is formed and what we can do about it.
In this session, these three types of biases are the focus:
- Unconscious Bias: These are judgments that are formed outside of our conscious awareness.
- Affinity Bias: This is our tendency to see things like us as more favorable than things not like us – and explains our preference for things more like us.
- Confirmation Bias: This is our bias toward information that validates what we already believe to be true.
If left unaddressed, biases that have a detrimental impact on others can lead to unfair treatment, dysfunctional teams, and disengaged people. Biases may cause employees to be too narrow minded in their decision making, or unable to see their impact from another lens. This can limit creativity and reduce organizational innovation. Addressing bias begins with awareness and education to lead to a culture of unity.
- Build awareness of the different biases we all have
- Recognize how our bias impacts our thoughts, decisions, and actions
- Realize why it's a challenge to break free of bias
- Determine ways to overcome built-in bias to limit its effect
“I think unconscious bias is one of the hardest things to get at.”
Enhanced Team Morale
Half-day onsite instructor-led session that can be split into shorter sessions to accommodate schedules.
Live Remote Training options are also available.
Presented in a multi-media, fun, interactive manner with group exercises to engage participants.
Materials support additional learning reinforcement.
Contact us to explore how we can meet your training goals! firstname.lastname@example.org / 800-888-4893
Who should attend?
Any member of the organization, especially members of project teams.